Motorcycles lack a strong exterior cage, airbags, seat belts, and other safety features common in passenger vehicles. As a result, when a motorcycle is involved in a collision with a passenger vehicle, the injuries sustained by the motorcyclist can be devastating and often disfiguring. While some motorcycle accident injuries will heal with time and proper treatment, disfiguring injuries can impact a victim for the rest of his or her life—destroying self-confidence and serving as a constant reminder of the traumatic crash.
The most common types of disfigurement related to motorcycle accidents include:
- Scarring. Lacerations, burns, and "road rash" abrasion injuries can result in lasting scarring on the motorcyclist's face and body.
- Facial injuries. Motorcyclists are particularly prone to severe facial injuries—especially if they weren't wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. Disfiguring facial injuries may include extensive scarring, or the loss of the nose, jaw, or an eye.
- Amputations. Severe crush injuries can lead to the loss of one or more limbs.
The treatment required for disfiguring injuries can be both extensive and costly, and may include prosthetic limbs or multiple reconstructive or plastic surgeries. Motorcyclists disfigured in accidents caused by the negligence of another person or entity may be entitled to compensation for economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Accident-related medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of society or consortium
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Coping with disfigurement can be difficult for anyone—and motorcycle accident victims are no exception. In many cases, disfigured motorcyclists may benefit from psychological treatment that can help them manage their anxiety and depression, and give them the tools they need to handle the challenge of disfigurement.
Can We Help You With Your Motorcycle Accident Case?
If you were disfigured in a motorcycle accident that wasn't your fault, you may be entitled to compensation. The skilled attorneys with the Morris James Personal Injury Group can help you understand your legal rights and options. Contact us today to request an appointment for a free initial case consultation.