Unfortunately, many employees are injured or die on the job. Workplace accidents, repetitive behaviors, unsafe conditions, and more can cause employees to suffer an injury that prevents them from doing their job. In these situations, what are workers to do? Without the income they need, they may not be able to obtain proper medical care, pay their bills, and continue to lead the life they had before the accident.
The answer for many employees is workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation is a benefits system that can provide wages and medical care to injured employees.
If you or someone you love has suffered an injury within the course and scope of your job, you may be eligible to file a workers’ compensation claim. With a combined 150-plus years of experience, the experienced workers' compensation lawyers at Morris James have helped many employees secure the benefits they deserve to protect their health and their livelihood. They understand the feelings and uncertainty experienced by someone in your position, and they can help you through this time.
We can help secure the best possible outcome in your case. Our lawyers give each client the personal attention they deserve. We'll speak with you about your case on a regular basis. In addition to providing thorough communication about the case itself, we'll strive to learn more about you and the circumstances that led to you getting injured at work.
Our lawyers shape their strategies based on the details of each unique case. They decide whether to pursue negotiations or mediation, which are often better options than heading to court. You'll have input in every decision, and we'll move forward only when you feel comfortable with the plan. Our goal is to secure the best possible results for our clients, and that looks different for every case we take.
Call 302.655.2599 for a free, no obligation consultation to learn more about your rights and how to pursue a claim. If you prefer, take a moment to fill out our online contact form for a prompt response from a member of our legal team.
Why was my workers' compensation claim denied?
People injured on the job in Delaware may be eligible for workers' compensation benefits such as medical expense coverage and temporary partial or total disability payments. However, not all workers' compensation claims are approved.
Common Reasons Workers' Comp Claims Are Denied
- The injury wasn't work-related. To qualify for workers' compensation benefits, the injury must have occurred while the person was at work or performing job-related duties.
- The worker waited too long to inform their employer of the injury. Delaware workers should notify their employer of an injury and request medical treatment—in writing—as soon as possible.
- The injury is due to a preexisting condition. Employees can't claim workers' compensation benefits for injuries that occurred before their employment. However, workers may be eligible for benefits if the job aggravated an existing injury.
- The employee was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or was roughhousing or engaging in horseplay at the time of the accident and injury. Though the Delaware workers' compensation system isn't focused on finding fault, some employee actions can disqualify them from receiving workers' compensation benefits.
- The worker failed to seek medical treatment. If the injury was so minor that no medical treatment was necessary—and no medical documentation exists to support the injury—the insurance company may be reluctant to approve the claim. A workers' compensation claim may also be denied if the employee sought treatment from a doctor not on the employer's list of approved physicians.
- The employer disputes the claim. Paying out benefits to an injured worker can cause the cost of workers' compensation insurance to rise for the employer, which may lead some employers to deny even legitimate claims.
- June 16, 2023
- April 22, 2022
- March 9, 2022
- January 19, 2022
- October 26, 2021
- November 5, 2020
- November 4, 2020
- October 30, 2020
- December 18, 2023
- April 11, 2023
- February 22, 2023
- February 22, 2023
- February 16, 2023
- April 12, 2022
- June 4, 2021
- "If we have anyone that needs an injury attorney, we will definitely recommend them."
My wife and I had an excellent experience with Morris James. If we have anyone that needs an injury attorney, we will definitely recommend them.
- John M.
- "They care and are concerned about our well-being."
My overall experience with Morris James greatly exceeded my expectations. I would recommend this firm to family and friends because they care and are concerned about our well-being.
- "Again, thank you. I don’t think I can really say that enough."
From the bottom of my heart, I just want to say thank you for all of your hard work, your attention to detail, and for everything that has occurred during the process over the last 3 years. Again, thank you. I don’t think I can really say that enough.
- "His compassion and understanding, his communication, and being upfront and laying all information on the table."
Mike’s passion for the job and ensuring that he was able to assist me with any needs pertaining to my case. His compassion and understanding, his communication, and being upfront and laying all information on the table to ensure I was fully aware of what was going on with my case and things to expect potentially. His willingness to listen and remain professional when providing his advice and his knowledge regarding legal matters at hand.
- "I was always treated with promptness, courtesy, respect, and friendliness."
I enjoyed working with Ross. He was amazing. I was always treated with promptness, courtesy, respect, and friendliness. From start to finish, I did what was required of me and the firm did what was required. It was a pleasure having your firm represent me. A great relationship that received a wonderful result.
- "Matt was very professional and helpful. He explained all the options to me."
Matt was very professional and helpful. He explained all the options to me. I would definitely recommend the firm’s services to others.
- "My phone calls and emails were always returned promptly and I was always informed of the progress of my case."
Morris James staff and attorneys were always prompt and attentive to my needs. My phone calls and emails were always returned promptly and I was always informed of the progress of my case.
- "The group is knowledgeable about personal injury law and explained it to me fully, even if I did not understand they took their time to explain it so I would understand."
My phone calls and emails were always returned very quickly. I never had to call them, they were on point with my case. Always answered all of my questions, even if they were from Google. I would recommend this group to anyone they are friendly and easy to work with during a bad accident. The group is knowledgeable about personal injury law and explained it to me fully, even if I did not understand they took their time to explain it so I would understand.
- "All the other times I would just let it go but for some reason I got help with my case and I am so glad I did."
My attorney took his time and listened to my side of the case. This was my first time ever asking for help. All the other times I would just let it go but for some reason I got help with my case and I am so glad I did. Thanks again.
- If we have anyone that needs an injury attorney, we will definitely recommend them!
My wife and I had an excellent experience with Morris James LLP. If we have anyone that needs an injury attorney, we will definitely recommend them!